The World Through My Eyes

The World Through My Eyes: A collection of essays, reflections and thoughts about men, sex, love, relationships, politics, friendships, nudism, current events, social concerns, humanitarian issues, religion and all those wonderful experiences that constitute life as seen and felt by me: a thirty-something Deaf Gay man of mixed racial heritage (half-black, half-white) living in the Virginia Beach area of the United States. A scrapbook of my life. I've been a confirmed Gay nudist for the past 20 years (since puberty). Sometimes, we just need to step back and chill and try not to be so serious and tense. Life is short, stand up and get into it! nekkidfurryboi@gmail.com.

Friday, December 2, 2011

St. Nicholas Feast Day, December 6




I was raised and consider myself a member of the Greek Orthodox Church. I also have a mind that I use and am able to see the difference between the words of mortal men and the Words of God. That being said, one of the favorite of all the Saints in the Orthodox Church is St. Nicholas of Myra, who lived from 270 A.D. to 343 A.D. He was the Bishop of Myra, in what is now Turkey. Because there were many miracles credited to his intervention, he is also known as St. Nicholas the WonderWorker. St. Nicholas had a reputation for anonymous gift-giving, such as leaving coins in the shoes of children. For this reason, he became the historical model for what is now the Santa Claus legend. His feast day is December 6, annually.


My parents taught my older sisters and myself of the responsibility of sharing with others and of helping those not quite as fortunate as ourselves. Today, I celebrate St. Nicholas Day by making a donation to a charity of my choice. I give to various charities throughout the year; however, I set aside a certain amount every payday for my St. Nicholas Stash. My partner does the same and each year on December 6, we make our contribution to a service organization that we've agreed to support for that particular year. It may or may not be a religious charity.

After making our gift, we generally treat ourselves to a special dinner out as a couple or with friends. This is followed by a luxurious bath together and then our own private celebration. Happy St. Nicholas Feast!

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a wonderful way to celebrate St. Nicholas Feast, keep a tradition going and bond with your partner!

Love your blog and read it religiously. Keep up the good work!

-- Immanuel from Confessions of a Down Low Brother, the Sequel (http://downlowconfessionssequel.wordpress.com)