The World Through My Eyes

The World Through My Eyes: A collection of essays, reflections and thoughts about men, sex, love, relationships, politics, friendships, nudism, current events, social concerns, humanitarian issues, religion and all those wonderful experiences that constitute life as seen and felt by me: a thirty-something Deaf Gay man of mixed racial heritage (half-black, half-white) living in the Virginia Beach area of the United States. A scrapbook of my life. I've been a confirmed Gay nudist for the past 20 years (since puberty). Sometimes, we just need to step back and chill and try not to be so serious and tense. Life is short, stand up and get into it! nekkidfurryboi@gmail.com.

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Black History Month

Black men wrapped in Kente cloths of various designs

February, 2012, in the United States it is the month that honors the heritage of all African-Americans. Most people call it Black History Month. Originally, it was a time of year for persons of African descent to explore and observe their history. Over the years, it became a period for all Americans, no matter what race, to explore and observe Black American culture and history.

African teens cavorting on a beach

There are many who speculate and theorize that humanity has its' origins from the continent of Africa. There exists some science that supports this belief. Obviously, this makes some people very uncomfortable. Regardless, it is accepted fact that Africans and African-Americans, Black people, have made significant contributions towards the advancement and betterment of the human race. It is fitting that we do take the time to celebrate and honor these achievements to our culture.

As a gay man of African descent, I am proud of my heritage as a son of the Yoruba Tribe, most of whom live in what is now the country of Nigeria. My mother was born in the city of Ibadan located in western Nigeria. I have extended family who currently reside in that ancient center of Yoruba culture. I have visited there many times. As a mixed-race man, I embrace and own equally both my Greek and Nigerian roots, confident that the combination of African and European have made me the man that I am. As a same gender loving nudist, I am grateful for the legacy of nudity that both cultures have bestowed on me.

Adinkra symbol: Sankofa
The Sankofa is an Adinkra symbol that comes to us from the Akan Tribe of Ghana and the Ivory Coast. Adinkra symbols are visual representations of traditional proverbs.  The Sankofa symbolizes a bird of paradise looking behind itself. It means "learning from the past" or "it is not too late to go back and retrieve it if you forget." It suggests that we all must learn from the past, our ancestors, in order to prepare for the future. I feel this is exactly why we have Black History Month. In helps us all, regardless of race, to discover where we've been so that we can decide in what direction to proceed.  

No comments: