The World Through My Eyes

The World Through My Eyes: A collection of essays, reflections and thoughts about men, sex, love, relationships, politics, friendships, nudism, current events, social concerns, humanitarian issues, religion and all those wonderful experiences that constitute life as seen and felt by me: a thirty-something Deaf Gay man of mixed racial heritage (half-black, half-white) living in the Virginia Beach area of the United States. A scrapbook of my life. I've been a confirmed Gay nudist for the past 20 years (since puberty). Sometimes, we just need to step back and chill and try not to be so serious and tense. Life is short, stand up and get into it! nekkidfurryboi@gmail.com.

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Half Breed (Mutt)

During my undergraduate years at Gallaudet University (the only liberal arts university for the Deaf in this country), I was often asked what racial identity I preferred. As the child of an European father (Greek) and an African mother (Nigerian), I was in limbo. Too white for some, too black for others, and then not enough for either race. I was an oddity on campus and sometimes popular because of this anamoly. I simply wanted to be me.

As a biracial Deaf, gay man, I just viewed myself as myself. I rejected the dispersion about my parents. After all, they were the two people who created me. I had both black and white families that I loved. Why did I need to make a choice? This question wasn"t limited to my collegiate peers. Everyone that I encountered seemed confused. Regardless of race, it felt that everyone I met looked at me the same, although most were too polite to inquire.

All this changed in November, 2008. I finally had a role model based on his credentials and not his celebrity. Mr. Senator Barack Obama of Illinois was elected as the President of the United States of America. I now had someone who mirrored my own life in the most powerful position on this planet. Not surprisingly, the questions concerning my identity ceased.

Thank you, Mr. President Obama, for being the success that many of us need. Not only have you achieved the impossible, you have also inspired millions to strive for perfection.

1 comment:

TOY COUTURE said...

Very insightful and eloquently written. Obama is indeed inspiring across the board