The World Through My Eyes

The World Through My Eyes: A collection of essays, reflections and thoughts about men, sex, love, relationships, politics, friendships, nudism, current events, social concerns, humanitarian issues, religion and all those wonderful experiences that constitute life as seen and felt by me: a thirty-something Deaf Gay man of mixed racial heritage (half-black, half-white) living in the Virginia Beach area of the United States. A scrapbook of my life. I've been a confirmed Gay nudist for the past 20 years (since puberty). Sometimes, we just need to step back and chill and try not to be so serious and tense. Life is short, stand up and get into it! nekkidfurryboi@gmail.com.

Friday, September 3, 2010

Shoes And Socks

Idiosyncrasies, we all have them. Little peculiarities and eccentricities that are a part of our persona and make us the unique individuals that we are. Those traits that separate us from the mundane and routine. What a boring world this would be if we weren't all different in some small way. I should know. Sometimes, I feel as though my entire life is off track and my behavior is entirely alien.

I know there is a reason for this. Living in two different cultural groups (my paternal family is Greek, my maternal family is Nigerian) is bad enough. Then add to the mixture the fact that I am also Deaf, grew up in the USA and from an early age sensed that I was different from other boys my age. I became a teenager and recognized my preference for both private and social nudity and the fact that I'm Gay. Yes, there is a legitimate cause for my confusion and my personal idiosyncrasies. I remember when my parents hosted family gatherings in our home. When in the den, I needed to act Nigerian. When in the living room, I needed to think Greek. Outside, with my cousins, it was okay to be American. Depending on which cousin was sharing my bedroom, that space wasn't a sanctuary. The only real safe haven left for me was the bathroom and that refuge was limited time only.

I attended a residential school for the Deaf. So, when at school during all those months, I was sheltered in Deaf Culture. Then, at holiday time, I had to adjust to living in a hearing world (except when my Greek cousins were around; Deafness is hereditary in my Greek side of the family). Oh yes, I learned to adapt at a very early age and developed a quick survival habit of disappearing when it looked as though a disaster might happen (like a Greek aunt and Nigerian aunt cooking together in the kitchen or when all the uncles were playing backgammon, dominoes or cards).

This morning, my BF was lying in bed, watching me getting dressed for work. He began to laugh and informed me that he loved the way that I put on my shoes and socks. Now, I've been performing this task for my entire life and never felt that it was anything extraordinary. Two feet, two socks, two shoes; it doesn't take a physicist to solve this problem. I asked him what made him love my foot-sock-shoe routine.

He explained it all to me: most people put on both socks and then put on their shoes. I always put on one sock, adjust it accordingly and then put on the shoe. Then, I repeat the same procedure on the next foot. He added that this was one of the many reasons that he loves me. Yeah, right. The minute I walked out of the door he probably initiated proceedings to have me committed to our local psychiatric institution.

I thought about this while driving to work. Is my sock and shoe ritual Greek? Maybe it's Nigerian? It isn't a Deaf thing because my BF is Deaf, too. On the other hand, it might be something that I picked up from the Americans. Is it contagious? Could it possibly be a hearing habit that I inadvertently learned? It can't be a Gay trait because my BF is a...hell, he's a man, also. Is it a religious custom? If so, which one? Anglican (Church of England in Nigeria) as opposed to Greek Orthodox? Is it a nudist tradition because we're reluctant about wearing clothes? The questions multiplied yet the answers eluded me.

About the time that I parked my car, I decided, fuck all this! It's my feet, my socks and my shoes. I'll do me like I want to do me, plain and simple. I also decided that BF needs to get a hobby. He has too much free time if he's watching me put on my shoes and socks! LOL!

No comments: